12-month PhD student grant
Faculty of Physics, the University of Warsaw in the framework of the AEROPAN project:
“Synergetic aerosol remote sensing of Pandora within ACTRIS”
12-month PhD student grant
with the possibility to extend for consecutive 24 months
Institute of Geophysics, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw, is seeking a PhD student who is going to work in the Remote Sensing Laboratory on a challenging research project “Synergetic aerosol remote sensing of Pandora within ACTRIS” funded within the Weave-UNISSONO competition by leading science agencies in Poland - Narodowe Centrum Nauki (NCN) and in Austria - Fonds zur Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung (FWF).
Four projects win funding under Weave-UNISONO (ncn.gov.pl)
Scope of work:
Realization of project’s tasks related directly to completing PhD studies:
· Passive and active remote sensing data analyses, a.o. PollyXT lidar (EARLINET, ACTRIS), Emoral lidar (ESA),
· Synergetic use of Pandora spectrometer (PGN, NASA) and Cimel sunphotometer (AERONET, NASA),
· Contributing to validation of new retrieval with lidars, sunphotometery, radiometry,
· Co-development of a new bistatic lidar with Pandora and CCD cameras,
· Participation in AEROPAN field campaigns in Austria and Poland,
· Analyses of a long-term study of aerosol properties, including links to the satellite observations.
· Testing of the novel functionalities of the Pandora spectrometer with the GRASP configuration.
· Participation and analyses of data from field campaigns in Warsaw and Innsbruck.
· Testing the unique configuration of the Lidar-Pandora-Camera system.
· Participation in conferences and project meetings.
· Preparing material for scientific publications and reports.
· Writing and publishing research papers related to the aforementioned scope of work and core tasks.
Required professional qualifications:
a) The profile of PhD grant applicant that we seek:
· efficiency in programming skills (Python, Matlab), ability to use MS Office, LaTeX,
· knowledge of active and passive remote sensing and/or spectrometry,
· availability of applicant for working at the Faculty of Physics premises (main location) and at the University of Innsbruck,
· high level of English knowledge (spoken and written),
· ability to work in a group of scientists and as an individual researcher,
· readiness and ability to work hard to a deadline,
· experience in writing scientific papers,
· being ready to help and transfer knowledge to other team members at RS-Lab
· honest, straight-forward, reasonable, and responsible person that does not take personally critic of work but takes pleasure in improving its quality
b) M.Sc. preferably in Physics or Earth Sciences.
c) Documented programming skills (certificates, software publications, etc.).
d) Documented English knowledge at the level of at least B2 or native speaker.
e) Documented study/work experience in the field of remote sensing or spectrometry.
f) Applicant must be enrolled in doctoral studies in the Doctoral School of Exact and Natural Sciences.
NOTE: The PhD grant applicant will be supervised by Prof. Iwona Stachlewska at the University of Warsaw, and co-supervised by Dr. Axel Kreuter or Dr. Jochen Wagner at Medical University Innsbruck, Austria.
· Number of available scholarships: 1
· Scholarship: 5.000,- PLN per month (Brutto)
· Duration: 12 months, from 1st January 2023, with the possibility to extend for consecutive 24 months, after the positive yearly evaluation of the PhD work progress!
· Submission deadline: 12:00 UTC on 12th December 2022
· Interview (if scheduled): ~30 min between 10-16 UTC on 13-14 December 2022
· In the case, that applicant is from outside the Republic of Poland, this scholarship does not cover the costs of the tuition fees or the removal costs.
The scholarship is awarded in accordance with the rules contained in the Regulations for awarding scientific scholarships in research projects financed from the funds of the National Science Center introduced by the resolution of the Council of the National Science Center No. 25/2019 of March 14, 2019.
The applicant should provide the following documents by e-mail to the Secretariat IGF, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw e-mail: sekretariat.IGF@fuw.edu.pl:
1. Application for the open PhD position, together with the acceptance for the treatment of personal data (the information clause and the consent clause attached to the announcement). In the case of submitting the application by e-mail, please use the pdf format only. Note that each pdf file must contain the applicant’s signature.
2. The acquired diplomas (M.Sc. obligatory!) and a document confirming that the applicant is currently enrolled at the Doctoral School.
3. Current CV, including the list of publications and conference contributions.
4. Contact details to the senior researcher that can provide a reference letter for the applicant.
5. In the case of foreigners outside of the EU, EFTA, and the countries that are signatories to the Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications concerning Higher Education in the European Region, we require a copy of a document certifying the diploma in the territory of the Republic of Poland (https://nawa.gov.pl/en/recognition/recognition-for-academic-purposes/applying-for-admission-to-doctoral-studies).
The applicant, in case of being accepted, will be required to present the originals of all the documents. The entire selection procedure will be concluded before the 15th of December, 2022. The applicant might be asked for an interview with the recruitment commission. The applicant will be notified of the result of his/her application by e-mail.
For additional information about the project, please contact:
Prof. Iwona Stachlewska, email@example.com, tel. (+48) 22 55 32 046
Information relating to personal data processing
1. Personal Data Controller
Pursuant to Article 13 of the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) (hereinafter referred to as “GDPR”), the Controller of your personal data is the University of Warsaw, 26/28 Krakowskie Przedmieście, 00-927 Warsaw.
You may contact the Controller in one of the manners provided at https://www.uw.edu.pl/kontakt/.
2. Data Protection Officer (DPO)
The Controller has appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) who may be contacted about matters concerning your personal data via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may contact the DPO in all matters regarding the processing of your personal data by the University of Warsaw and executing your rights related to personal data processing.
However, the DPO’s duties shall not include other matters, such as current matters related to the concluded contract, receipt of documents related to the performance of the contract, etc.
3. Objectives, legal basis, and processing period
Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of:
- conclusion and performance of the scholarship contract – for the term of the agreement (legal basis: Article 6(1)(b) of the GDPR);
- establishment, enforcement, or defense of potential contractual claims – for a period of three years from the expiry of the contract (legal basis: Article 6(1)(f) of the GDPR);
- the performance of accounting and tax obligations – for the period of five years from the end of the calendar year (legal basis: Article 6(1)(c) of the GDPR).
For the purpose of the performance of the concluded contract, your personal data shall be processed within the scope necessary to perform the concluded contract. All other personal data shall be processed if necessary for the purposes of exercising rights and duties resulting from a legal provision, and/or other applicable regulations.
All your other personal data shall be processed in specific cases after you have given your separate consent to its processing (Article 6(1)(a) of the GDPR), which you have the right to withdraw at any time. Please also be reminded that your withdrawal of consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your consent before its withdrawal (Article 7(3) of the GDPR).
4. Data recipients
Your personal data may also be shared with parties authorized pursuant to the provisions of law, .e.g. the National Science Center. Access to your personal data shall also be granted to authorized employees of the Controller who must process your personal data as part of their professional tasks and duties.
Other entities that the Controller commissioned to perform certain activities, e.g. providers of services of personal and property protection, postal and courier services, transport services, etc., entailing the necessity to process personal data may be data recipients.
Your professional data may also be provided to parties to the contracts concluded by the Controller, if it is necessary for the performance of these contracts and results from the contracts concluded.
5. Data transfers outside of the European Economic Area (EEA)
Your personal data may also be processed by Google, our G-Suite for an education service provider at their data processing centers.
6. Rights of data subjects
According to the principles specified by the GDPR, you have the right to:
- access your data and receive its copy,
- rectify (correct) your personal data;
- restrict personal data processing;
- erase personal data (subject to Article 17(3) of the GDPR);
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the President of the Personal Data Protection Office if you believe that the personal data processing violates the law.
7. Information on the data provision requirement
Provision of your personal data within the scope resulting from the legal and other regulations in order to allow the performance of tasks under the contract concluded is necessary to conclude a contract with you. Providing other personal data is voluntary.
Opublikowano dnia - 28 listopada 2022 15:00
Ostatnia zmiana - 2 grudnia 2022 15:08
Publikujący - Sekretariat IGF