INSTITUTION: UNIVERSITY OF WARSAW, FACULTY OF PHYSICS
CITY: WARSAW, POLAND
POSITION: Assistant professor
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 2
DISCIPLINE: Physical sciences
POSTED: July 31, 2023
EXPIRES: September 30, 2023
WEBSITE: www.fuw.edu.pl , www.igf.fuw.edu.pl
KEY WORDS: atmospheric physics
DESCRIPTION (field, expectations, comments):
The candidates have to conform to the conditions stated in art. 113 of Higher Education Law dated 20.07.2018 (Journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland 2023, item 742 with subsequent amendments). We are currently seeking a candidate for the Assistant professor position at the Institute of Geophysics, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw. The candidate should have expertise in passive and active remote sensing data analyses, specifically ADR-PollyXT lidar (EARLINET, ACTRIS), and EMORAL lidar (ESA), Pandora spectrometer (PGN, NASA), and Cimel sunphotometer (AERONET, NASA).
These researchers will join the NCN project titled “Synergetic aerosol remote sensing of Pandora within ACTRIS, nr 2021/03/Y/ST10/00206”. The positions are tenure track, with a contract duration of up to 12 months.
The approximate salary for these positions is 10.000 PLN (brutto-brutto).
Planned start of employment: not earlier than January 1, 2024
The necessary conditions required from applicants are:
1. doctorate (PhD) degree in physics or similar;
2. experience in the lidar data analysis under the requirements of the EARLINET-ACTRIS network;
3. experience in field campaigns (participation and/or organisation);
4. experience in the development of measurement data processing algorithms;
5. knowledge of lidar techniques: camera-based lidar and Raman lidar;
6. excellent written and spoken English;
7. efficiency in programming (MATLAB or Python) and ability to use MS Office, LaTeX;
8. experience in writing and preparing materials for scientific publications documented by publications as the first author;
9. willingness to cooperate and transfer knowledge to other team members;
10. ability to work in a group and as an independent researcher;
11. driving licence category B.
Description of expected tasks:
1. aerosol ground-based measurements and analyses with different remote and in-situ instruments and configurations;
2. responsibility for data retrieval and extending the functionalities of lidar measurements with a set of cameras and Pandora, exploration of the bistatic configuration (WP3.3);
3. active participation in the field campaign in Innsbruck (WP4.1), and multifaced data analysis of the synergetic measurements in Innsbruck and Warsaw to assess the differences between observed aerosol properties (WP4.3).
4. participation in conferences and project meetings;
5. publication of work results in top scientific journals.
The candidate must meet the conditions set by the National Science Center for people employed in a post-doc position. In particular, the person employed for this position must have a doctoral degree obtained no earlier than 7 years before the year of employment in the project. This period does not include breaks related to maternity leave, additional maternity leave, leave on the conditions of maternity leave, additional leave on the conditions of maternity leave, paternity leave, or parental leave granted on the terms specified in the provisions of the Labor Code or the receipt of sickness allowance or rehabilitation benefits in connection with incapacity for work, including those caused by diseases requiring medical rehabilitation. For women, the indicated 7-year period may be extended by 18 months for each child born or adopted. A woman can choose a more favorable way to indicate breaks in her scientific career.
The employment will take place in accordance with the NCN regulations, in particular, the employed person must meet the following conditions jointly:
• the principal investigator was not a supervisor or assistant supervisor of her doctoral dissertation;
• their PhD degree has been awarded by another institution than the one planned to employ them at this post or they have completed a continuous and evidenced post-doctoral fellowship of at least 10 months in another institution than the host institution for the project and in another country than the one in which they have been conferred a PhD degree;
• at the time of receiving remuneration, they will not be receiving any other remuneration paid from the funds granted to research projects under NCN calls under the heading of direct costs;
• in the period of receiving the remuneration they will be receiving no remuneration from another employer pursuant to an employment contract, including an employer with a registered office outside of Poland;
• during the period of receiving this remuneration, he will not receive retirement benefits from the social security system;
• will be employed for at least 6 months.
Interested candidates should submit their applications to the Administrative Office of the Institute of Geophysics, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw, Pasteura 5, 02-093 Warszawa, room B4.41 or via e-mail: sekretariat.IGF@fuw.edu.pl (with title: Assistant professor in project
nr 2021/03/Y/ST10/00206) including:
1. Application for the position.
2. Information on the processing of personal data - information clause and consent clause - attachment to the announcement (available on the website: https://bsp.adm.uw.edu.pl/wpcontent/uploads/sites/18/2021/01/Klauzula-informacyjna-przy-rekrutacji-dopracy_11_2019_EN.docx - the PDF-format with a signature)
3. CV with contact data.
4. Copy of PhD diploma.
5. List of research papers, including a number of citations according to the Web of Science database and an indication of the achievement (or achievements) that the candidate considers to be the most important.
6. Contact data to a scientist from outside the University of Warsaw, who can provide an opinion on the candidate.
7. Personal questionnaire for the person applying for employment available at: https://bsp.adm.uw.edu.pl/en/forms-to-download/ (For the person applying for employment, p. 1).
All documents should be signed by the candidate. Questions concerning the post should be addressed to the Administrative Office of the Institute of Geophysics.
The decision will be taken no later than October 31, 2023. Candidates will be notified individually about the date of a possible qualification interview with the competition committee of the Faculty of Physics Council.
The candidates will be informed about the results of the selection procedure by e-mail.
This announcement is the first step in the procedure of employing an assistant professor and its positive result will be a base for consecutive steps.
Originally published on - July 31, 2023, 8 a.m.
Last update on - Aug. 4, 2023, 10:38 a.m.
Publisher - Sekretariat IGF