INSTITUTION: The University of Warsaw, Faculty of Physics
CITY: Warsaw, Poland
POSITION: adjunct professor
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
DISCIPLINE: Physical sciences and/or Earth sciences
POSTED: April 22nd 2022
EXPIRES: May 23th 2022
WEBSITE: www.fuw.edu.pl, www.igf.fuw.edu.pl
KEY WORDS: geophysics, atmospheric sciences, earth science
The candidates have to conform to the conditions stated in art. 113 of Higher Education Law dated 20.07.2018 (Journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland 2021, item 478).
We seek a candidate for an adjunct professor to join the Institute of Geophysics, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw and project entitled Aerosol impact on microphysical, optical and radiation properties of fog, nr UMO-2017 27 B ST10 00549. The opening is tenure track, the period of the contract is up to 15 months.
The requirements, necessary conditions required from applicants are:
1. doctorate (PhD) in science or engineering or earth science;
2. experience in measurements of aerosol optical properties and modeling of radiative transfer in the atmosphere and simulating of atmospheric optical properties;
3. experience in conducting research using remote sensing instruments (MODIS, SEVIRI), in-situ devices (particle counters, aethalometer, nephelometer, etc.), in processing and analyzing measurement data and results of numerical simulations and re-analyses;
4. experience in conducting research using miniaturized equipment mounted on drones, balloons and cable cars;
5. knowledge of MATLAB computing environment, possibly IDL or Python;
6. fluency in written and spoken English.
Description of expected tasks:
1. preparation of an algorithm for detection of radiation fog based on SEVIRI-MSG satellite data and industrial cameras installed at the ground stations;
2. processing of SEVIRI data in combination with ground-based SYNOP information station in order to determine the frequency of occurrence and duration of radiation fog;
3. determination of temporal changes of physical parameters describing fog in the context of climate change and air pollution in recent decades;
4. analysis of microphysical properties of radiation fog based on satellite data
5. case study of several radiation fog events based on in-situ data and remote sensing measurements
6. participation in field measurement campaigns;
7. publication of work results in scientific journals.
a. The post-doc position is dedicated to a person beginning a scientific career, who obtained a doctoral degree not earlier than 7 years before the year of employment in the project. This period does not include breaks related to maternity leave, additional maternity leave, additional leave on maternity leave conditions, paternity leave, parental leave, or child care leave, granted under the rules specified in the provisions of the Labor Code, or receiving sick pay or rehabilitation benefit in connection with the inability to work, including due to illness requiring medical rehabilitation. In the case of women, the specified 7-year period may be extended by 18 months for each child born or adopted. A woman may choose a more favourable way of indicating breaks in her scientific career.
b. during the period of receiving remuneration for the post-doc position the employee will not receive any other remuneration in any form from the NCN resources
c. during the period of drawing the salary, the employee will not draw other remuneration under a contract of employment with any employer;
Interested candidates should submit their applications to the Administrative Office of the Institute of Geophysics, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw, Pasteura 5, 02-093 Warszawa, room B4.41 e-mail: sekretariat.IGF@fuw.edu.pl including:
1. Application for the position.
2. Information on the processing of personal data - information clause and consent clause - attachment to the announcement (available on the website https://bsp.adm.uw.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2021/01/Klauzula-informacyjna-przyrekrutacji-do-pracy_11_2019_EN.docx - the pdf format with a scanned signature
3. CV with contact data.
4. Copy of PhD diploma.
5. List of research papers, including a number of citations according to the Web of Science database and a short description of the three most important achievements.
6. Contact data to at least two scientists from outside the University of Warsaw, who can provide opinions on the candidate.
7. Filled form available at http://bsp.adm.uw.edu.pl/bsp/druki-i-formularze/ For the person applying for employment, p. 1.
8. Statement on reading and accepting the rules for job applications for a position of an academic teacher at the University of Warsaw (available on the website https://www.fuw.edu.pl/dokumenty-i-formularze.html ) - the pdf format with a scanned signature
All documents should be signed by the candidate. Questions concerning the post should be addressed to the Administrative Office of the Institute of Geophysics.
The decision will be taken no later than June 10, 2022. The candidate may be asked for a qualification interview with the commission appointed by the Dean of the Faculty of Physics. The candidates will be informed individually.
The candidates will be informed about the results of the selection procedure by e-mail.
This announcement is the first step in the procedure of employing an academic teacher and its positive result will be a base for consecutive steps.
Originally published on - April 27, 2022, 9 a.m.
Last update on - May 23, 2022, 9:41 a.m.
Publisher - Sekretariat IGF